The Avalon Airport Master Plan has been approved.
The Avalon Airport Master Plan was approved by the Department of Defence in September 2015. The document provides for a significant expansion of the airport’s operations, as well as the establishment of non-aviation related developments. More specifically the Master Plan provides a mechanism for the development of the site and operations as per the following:
- The expansion of the existing domestic terminal to accommodate international operations without a Major Development Plan (up to 10,000 square metres);
- The provision to construct a new international terminal;
- The establishment of airfreight terminals;
- The provision to lengthen the existing runway to up to 4,000 metres;
- The development of residential hotels;
- The development of the site to accommodate retail, commercial and industrial;
- The continuation of the Australian International Airshow until at least 2025;
- The reservation of the rail reservation both and provision for the establishment of a rail;
- The provision for recreational and sporting facilities;
- The continued curfew free status of the aerodrome; and
- The City of Greater Geelong will remain the Planning Authority.
A copy of the Master Plan can be downloaded from the below link.
The Avalon Airport Environmental Strategy was approved by the Commonwealth Government in 2014. The Strategy Period is 26 September 2014 until 25 September 2019.
The AES is available for viewing and downloading here: