Where can you fly direct from Avalon to experience world-class cuisine, adventure and some of the best beaches in Australia? The Sunshine Coast! Avalon Airport is proud to announce our new partnership with airline Bonza, who will be starting direct flights to Sunshine Coast Airport (between Mooloolaba and Noosa) in February.
Located in South East Queensland, a short distance north of Brisbane, the area is a hugely popular getaway destination. With a subtropical climate that creates warm weather and seas all year round, it might just be the perfect escape from Victorian winter! The natural environment in this region is a living network of landforms and catchments, wetlands, waterways, terrestrial ecosystems, coastal foreshores and marine waters. The Sunshine Coast boasts three UNESCO biosphere reserves, 2,585 km2 of protected marine and land areas and strong food, beverage and tourism infrastructure ready to welcome you for a comfortable trip that suits any budget.
It’s common knowledge the Sunshine Coast has epic beaches – it’s right there in the name! But today we’re outlining some creative ways to enjoy the coast you might not have heard of:
- First up, if you get sick of sunbathing on the beach, head out to sea for whale watching from June to October! Humpbacks pass through the area as they migrate north, and a number of operators will take you out to see them in all their glory.You can even don your snorkel and jump in the water to witness these gentle giants in their natural habitat. If the humpbacks aren’t for you, opt for a whale sharks tour during the same season.
- It’s not just the seas that are protected; the Glass House Mountains are a protected omnipresent region, looming over the Sunshine Coast, and you might just get an urge to go explore them. This area is spiritually significant to the Aboriginal Traditional Owners, with many ceremonial sites still protected today.Enjoy scenic views from Beerburrum State Forest with the family, or for more experienced hikers, the summits of Mount Ngungun or Tibrogargan are beckoning.
- The Sunshine Coast also has some of the most extensive mountain biking trails in Australia. From lush and ferny beginner trails to epic drop-offs that’ll have you on the edge of your seat, the coast has you and the family covered. It’s easy to hire bikes in nearby towns and tour operators can bring you along to show you the ropes.
- Mudjimba island might just be the hidden gem of the Sunshine Coast. Located just offshore from Mudjimba, right next to the airport, this spot is home to an abundance of marine life including dolphins, turtles, stingrays, crayfish, wobbegongs, eels, and starfish. Snorkelling is the preferred activity around here, where a vibrant coral ledge draws large schools of fish. Tour operators from Mudjimba will happily take you out for the day to see what the fuss is about.
- Hit up the many restaurants on and around the Sunshine Coast for some of Australia’s freshest seafood. Export-grade tuna comes into Mooloolaba every morning, along with prawns, spanner crabs and the best swordfish in Australia. You’ll be spoiled for choice for a drink because the Sunshine Coast is the craft beer capital of Australia.
With more than 19 craft beer breweries strung along this sunny strip, there’s something for every palate.
More than just the beach, and with something to suit everyone’s interests, we think the Sunshine Coast is a super exciting destination and we’re proud to add it to our offering at Avalon Airport. It’s super easy to get to Avalon Airport from Melbourne or Geelong and you could be kicking it Queensland-style in no time.
Book your next flight with Bonza Airlines and fly from Avalon Airport today!