Even though the Gold Coast is one of the most well-known tourist destinations in Australia, we thought it would be a good time to recap why this place is so popular. We’ve included some classic hot spots and some other underrated activities you might not associate with the Gold Coast. There’s a huge variety of things to do that suits many different age groups and budgets, so whether you’re looking for your next family getaway, a romantic vacation for two or an adventure trip with your friends, there’s something for everyone.
- Visit the beaches: The Gold Coast is known for its beautiful beaches. Surfers Paradise is the classic Gold Coast beach that’s sure to impress. Backed by high rises and palms, it’s the one your friends will recognise first when you show them the pictures. Head to Broadbeach and Burleigh Heads for a similarly quintessential Gold Coast experience with more mellow crowds. Go south to Coolangatta for an even slower pace with surf breaks that draw the best pros.
- Visit the theme parks: Bring the family to one of several theme parks including Dreamworld, Sea World, Movie World, and Wet’n’Wild. These parks offer a range of rides and attractions for all ages. Which one is the best? Movie World has the most and best ratings of them all.
- Explore the Hinterland: if you get bored of the beaches, you can head out to the wild hinterland, a beautiful area with scenic drives, hiking trails, and waterfalls. Some popular destinations in the hinterland include Lamington National Park, Springbrook National Park, and Mount Tamborine. Many eco-cabins from budget-friendly to luxurious offer overnight stays in this area.
- Visit the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary: This world-class sanctuary is home to a wide range of native Australian wildlife including koalas, kangaroos, and crocodiles. Visitors can also enjoy daily shows like Lorikeet feedings and other animal encounters.
- Go shopping: The Gold Coast has a range of shopping options including large shopping centres such as Pacific Fair and Robina Town Centre, as well as boutique stores in areas like Burleigh Heads and Surfers Paradise.
- Enjoy the nightlife: Maybe the Gold Coast could be your next party destination! It has a vibrant nightlife with a range of bars, nightclubs, and restaurants. Some popular areas for clubs and bars are Surfers Paradise, Broadbeach, and Burleigh Heads.
Whether it’s your first time, or a repeat, Avalon Airport is your gateway to the Gold Coast and all that it has to offer. The Gold Coast airport is near Coolangatta and a short drive away from the main area of Surfers Paradise. With frequent bus services connecting Avalon to Geelong and Melbourne, you could be relaxing on the beach in no time at all.